I'd like to take a swing at both challenges for this week's blog post. First, I wanted to mention a module that I installed on my Drupal instance. A few weeks ago, I wanted to embed video into the body of a message -- particularly YouTube and similar types of videos. While my collection is currently mostly research (text), I can see that a collection of this type (digital preservation resources) might, in the near future, need to include video of conference proceedings or tutorials. I did a quick Google search for "YouTube embed Drupal" and came across
this page with links to the module and some information about how to configure the module. This basically allows contributors to add a tag like this (without spaces) to embed the video:
[ video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN1qUeId ]Second, I want to take a moment to reflect on Drupal as a CMS for digital collections. One of the areas that I think needs clarification for me is how we might differentiate a website from a digital collection. It's obvious how useful Drupal is for building a website that can scale according to an institution's needs. I'm also in the process of trying to migrate my professional portfolio to the Drupal platform for many of the same reasons that we've explored in these recent units. I'll report back here on my progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment